Back in grade school we had a unit on the Home of the Future. I don't remember too much about it, but I do recall the fish. I'm sure the home was full of energy and labor saving devices, nifty technology and ways to use the natural elements to the owners' advantage--however I forgot those details. Out in the front yard was a fishpond with a lid growing plants through it so the roots dangled in the water. In this Home of the Future you fattened your own fish for dinner and grew the salad greens hydroponically for the side dish. I don't know (yet) if that's really possible but the image stuck with me all this time. In daydreams about my own some-day home I would invariably have a moat around the house to act as a facsimile river for fattening up trout or bass for food (and for keeping out invading dragons).
We had a garden when I was a kid and one grandmother had a huge garden that fed her quite well. My other grandma had Kroger's and I always loved her cooking. So I've seen both sides of the producer vs. consumer lifestyles. This blog is my record of trying to incorporate what I have learned from them, from books and blogs and my own desire to live a sort-of suburban homestead life. Self-sufficiency has intrigued me for quite a while, but given that I have approximately 36 minutes a day to pursue my own work all these words may just turn out to be pipe dreams, I still want to try anyway.
Because thinking about the Home of the Future is fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment