Monday, May 30, 2011

Growth this week, before the wind

Forecast 50 mph winds today, so who knows what will be left by tomorrow. I will be taking the bird net off the beds tomorrow because the plants are growing bigger and the birds can't eat the seeds anymore. Will have to figure out something else when the plants fruit out. Also aphids showed up yesterday on the hops bine.

Lettuce that finally germinated after I killed off the first sowing with plastic sheeting. Found some seeds that rolled downhill and are now growing in what is supposed to be the cantaloupe section. Should have some explosive growth this week with temps in the 80's and lots of sunshine.

Green onions finally showing their heads above ground.

Onions, white and red and green in the near right section, carrots in the middle and beans on the left that haven't sprouted yet.

Potatoes--I love how they come up so big through the earth that it looks like the dirt is giving birth. Or an alien is exploding out of its belly.

Should really plant more stuff in this one. But the elephant garlic has now come up through the ground.

What is this peeking out of the ground? Asparagus! Unfortunately I have to add more dirt and the shoot will have to keep seeking the light.

Parsnips, carrots, lettuce, peas.

Peas-which started to flower yesterday, romaine/radish, collards/chard, broccoli/kale

broccoli/kale, lettuce/spinach, turnips, spinach

No comments:

Post a Comment