Monday, June 6, 2011

In the 90's

The asparagus patch is now all full with dirt. A few fronds are poking up through the soil. But it looked empty, so I planted some blackeyed peas to see what they would do with all that space.

End of the 8' asparagus bed, the soil goes downhill from 15" high to 7" high. Wonder if I'll have run-off problems? Chioggia beets next, more seeds have sprouted now that the weather has really warmed up. 80's and 90's the last 5 days with night time temps above 55.

I put in some cucumber seedlings, lemon variety, yesterday. I am not diligent about hardening off my plants. We will see if they survive. Next to that is the eggplant area. A few have pushed themselves up through the soil and also some cucumber seeds I put in the ground in March finally popped up. Nifty how that works.

Then the parsnips. The one in the bottom left has been growing since March, then I pushed in more seeds in April or May and 2 more sprouted. I thought I was just a bad parsnip planter, but maybe they like warmer weather than I thought because all of a sudden there are about 20 new sprouts. In the center is a pepper plant I put in yesterday, carrots, then lettuce and peas.

The pea plants are flowering and setting pods. I am excited. I hope they are able to produce peas before the hot weather wilts them. Then red romaine which is hiding behind the peas/radishes which we've pulled most of them-tasty!, Collard greens are growing fast/swiss chard which is not, Broccoli is about to push up their flowers/Kale.

Here you see the broccoli/kale then lettuce/mystery cole plant I can't remember what I seeded & spinach, turnips, more spinach.

Hops are growing tall, but we are encountering issues. Aphids and brown spots on the lower leaves which I think are downy mildew. Need to limit watering from the top and get some ladybugs.

Potatoes growing well.

One giant peach and a few little ones in this photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment