Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Mid-June

Three sisters mounds. Corn is up, beans aren't but I transplanted a couple, squash is just starting to germinate at the bottom of the mounds.

Potatoes are growing well.

Golden bantam corn 8 or 9 inches on center. Plus I planted beans to help fertilize the soil.

Covered bed. Cucumber transplants not doing well, I didn't harden them off. Eggplants just emerging, then parsnips.

Parsnips with cucumbers in the back of row, carrots, lettuce, peas.

Peas are producing everyday now. One problem, we want to eat them so much that we haven't allowed the peas to swell in the pods and we just eat them pods and all.

Broccoli is starting to pop its flowers up.

Peas, radishes all got harvested/red romaine (hiding behind peas), chard/collards, kale/broccoli

Kale/broccoli, seeds I planted last month are starting to get bigger so I am harvesting the older spinach and lettuce to give them some sunlight, spinach/lettuce, turnips, spinach

Blackeyed pea in the asparagus bed and if you look closely in the right corner an asparagus frond popping out. Only one side of the bed has produced shoots. I planted two different varieties, one on each side of the bed, so only one variety has come out of the soil. I wonder if the other roots were not viable or they are just slower.

Hops bine is growing tall but the lower leaves are browning and that is slowly working its way up the plant. I'm not sure why. I think I took care of the aphids with diatomaceous earth and I saw a ladybug on there yesterday, but a lot of tiny fly-ish bugs are sheltering underneath the leaves. Not sure what they are or what they do.

The neighbor's tree was making such a loud hum this week. I don't know what kind of tree it is, I will try to get a picture. Whatever it is, it produced some sort of bloom (that didn't even look like flowers to me) that drove the bees wild. There were thousands of bees on that tree. The buzzing was so loud that you could hear them inside the house with doors and windows shut. Glad to see that honeybees are alive and kicking by my house. I found out that my leafy greens are getting buzzed by leaf-cutter bees--who knew there were such things? But why are wasps so interested in the leafy veggies?

No comments:

Post a Comment